About Me

My photo
Well, when I was a little girl I would spend hours flipping through the pages of a huge catalogue called "Quelle" that my father had brought from Germany. It had glossy pages full of beautiful pictures of lovely rooms, furniture and furnishing and was written in a language I could not decipher. But I think the pictures left an ever lasting impression on my mind and I grew up to be 'me' who drools not over food (or that too!) but good interior design, colors and photography. I also passionately love coffee, films, books, music, white gladioli, solitude, risotto, donuts, and my life (not exactly always in that order). I live in Bombay, India with my husband and little daughter and they both have changed my life in many beautiful ways.

Sunday 5 August 2012

TINY FEET, LARGE FOOTPRINT!

How much wardrobe space do you think a fifteen month old girl  needs? Well, if you are a parent then you already know the answer.  You also probably know that it is not the toddlers but we the mothers who need the space to store all the adorable frilly dresses, tiny shoes, socks, blankets, jackets, hair accessories and their cuddly soft toys. Thanks to our generous friends and family, the number of my daughter's clothes keep on increasing almost on a weekly basis. And with the recent visit from her uncle and aunt from foreign land the inventory just went up by dozens. So yesterday I had to upgrade my daughter's closet space from one shelf and one drawer to two big shelves and two drawers.  With this upgrading (under compulsion) my husband and I had to sacrifice our shelf space and thats one more addition to our long 'things sacrificed' list in the last fifteen months. Well, we are not complaining.

Motherhood has taught me quite a few things in life and one of the most practical lessons I have learned is the need to be organized. I have not fully perfected the art yet but I am improving for sure. 
And trust me, kids' wardrobes and closet spaces need to be absolutely  clutter free and neatly arranged at least for the sake of their parents' sanity.  

As I was reorganizing the wardrobe I had this urge to share some of the tips that I picked up from my regular reading of various organizing related blogs.  

1. Clear out the space before you begin. Take everything out and evaluate the requirement of each item. Kids outgrow their clothes, shoes, jackets and socks very fast. So toss away stuff that do not fit your child any more. 

2. Keep a tote bag handy. You might want to hand down those super cute dresses, denims and jackets to younger kids in the family or to some needy ones. As you sort the stacks of your kid's stuff, make a stack for give aways. Put them in the tote bag and label it if possible so that you know what is inside when you see it next time.

3. Use boxes and trays to keep piles of their daily wears. Not every piece of clothing needs to be hung and also this will save you the pain of buying too many tiny hangers.  

4. Keep a small box of unused soap with mild fragrance in the kid's closet. I like it when her clothes smell good. 

Here is a sneak peak of my little one's wardrobe. 



Woolens and shoes packed in see through bags.

Bibs hung on the inside of the wardrobe door so that they can be quickly accessed to combat the drooling emergency.  

Well, I also needed to segregate and tag each set of clothes for those rare days when mommy is out and daddy is in charge of getting her ready. I don't want her to wear her night suit to the park or one of her party dresses for an evening walk. Right! 


I would have preferred to go with nice color coded boxes or trays to keep her daily wears handy but I decided to stay away from 'made in China' plastic kind (even though they look neat and cute) and in stead used large gift boxes and wrapped them in colorful papers.


I was happy with the result of my whole afternoon's hard work. Even though we have our clothes lying piled up here n there in the house at least my precious one's pretty tiny ones are all in place and organized.  I would love to hear your tips on organizing kids' closets, playroom and toys cabinet.

HAPPY ORGANIZING.


No comments:

Post a Comment