About Me

My photo
Well, when I was a little girl I would spend hours flipping through the pages of a huge catalogue called "Quelle" that my father had brought from Germany. It had glossy pages full of beautiful pictures of lovely rooms, furniture and furnishing and was written in a language I could not decipher. But I think the pictures left an ever lasting impression on my mind and I grew up to be 'me' who drools not over food (or that too!) but good interior design, colors and photography. I also passionately love coffee, films, books, music, white gladioli, solitude, risotto, donuts, and my life (not exactly always in that order). I live in Bombay, India with my husband and little daughter and they both have changed my life in many beautiful ways.

Monday 10 December 2012

HAMSA...A NEW BEGINING



My head is bursting with the joy of the unknown. My heart is expanding a thousand fold. - Rumi



It all started in just one moment. Some people take days months or may be years to decide when they want to embark on a new journey. But it is always in that one brief moment, when a voice from inside says, "Let's do it!", that your life completely changes.
I have heard that voice many times in my life and taken life changing decisions. Be it, leaving the comforts of the familiar world and coming to a new city for work, or crossing many hurdles to be with the love of my life. In my head, it always happened in that one moment. I took the decision of giving up my MNC job to be with my daughter  in one brief moment on the day I was to resume work after my maternity leave and my life once again changed in that moment. No more going to office, no boss, no more mind numbing stressful long hours in front of the laptop and many other things that I always wanted to be away from during my 10 years as a corporate lawyer.                             


Even after I became a happy stay at home mom, there was  still a restlessness in my head..a constant desire to do something. For the first time in many years, I had the time to think about what I really wanted to do in life. And that made me think, 'what do I love to do the most?' And even though I hadn't found the answer, it was quite clear to my husband that I should do what I love doing the most - Decorating home. So I started my blog and almost as a natural progression, my heart desired to start my own venture in home  decor and styling. After a few months of deliberation, couple of hectic trips to places I always longed to visit, I had finally hand picked enough beautiful hand-made and hand-crafted home decor items to showcase in two back to back exhibitions. I have lovingly named my new venture "HAMSA" - Inspired by the hand shaped amulet of Israel.  


My first two exhibitions cum sale, of hand-block printed linens from Jaipur and hand crafted home accessories from various parts of India, are happening in Bombay this month. The details will soon be on myikatlove's Facebook page. But before I announce it to the world, I just wanted to share with my readers the story of how Hamsa became a reality and of course some images of the hand-printed, hand-made and hand crafted unique items, that I had great fun selecting directly from the artisans.

Hand knitted puppets and applique cushion covers for playroom and nursery
Hand made wooden spoons and holders made of sabai grass
Spice box

Roti box with wooden lid
Patch work on Jaipuri quilts
   
Hand block printed quilts and comforters
Hand crafter wooden blocks that create the magical Indian block prints

Magical Indian block prints on bed linens






All images are the copyrights of myikatlove. Please do not use/copy without prior permission.


10 comments:

  1. My best wishes and blessings for your success :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Chachu. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great going subha! when do i come and take my pick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Dipika- Thanks. Any time Dips : ) The first exhibition is from 13th-16th Dec and the next one is from 28th to 30th. Check myikatlove's FB page for further details.

      Delete
  4. Hi Subah, have been following your pages for a couple of days now coz i too have a never ending quest for home decor:) The stuff you put up here is amazing!!!

    I am also very happy reading about Hamsa...congratulations! God bless and would love to come check out your exhibition. God bless!!
    Love,
    Insia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insia......dear I am so glad to know that you follow my blog. Thank you so much for your best wishes. You must come to the exhibitions. First one is in South Mumbai at Cymroza Art Gallery from 13th to 16th Dec. There is a slight change in the plan for the next one. Now the next one is scheduled to be at my place starting 23rd December till stock lasts. So drop by anytime. Love.

      Delete
  5. Seems wonderful. And in time too as we are shifting to a new house. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shan...wow then you guys must come : ))

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the very very best-Will surely come...so proud of u sweetie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nav..Would love to see you there.

      Delete